Sacajawea Wilderness Education
Fall 2021: As we hear more information about the safety measures for the 2021-22 school year, we will be able to further decide on which extracurricular activities we may be able to provide this year, including the possibility of 5th grade camp. We will keep families updated as to if/when these clubs can occur. Stay tuned to Class Dojo, Sacy Facebook, and flyers in your child's backpack!
Camp Tall Timber - 5th Grade Camp
Each year all 5th grade students visit Camp Tall Timber for a week of outdoor education. 5th grade parents will begin hearing about camp in September with plenty of time and opportunities to raise funds and prepare for the experience.
- Camp has been a tradition at Sacajawea for over 37 years.
- Hundreds of volunteer hours go into making an unforgettable program for our 5th graders.
- The staff at Tall Timber Ranch look forward to our program each year because of its quality and how well behaved our students are.
- In collaboration with our PTO, students have the opportunity to earn all or part of the tuition by participating in the fall fundraiser or other parent sponsored events.
- To apply , evaluate, and synthesize knowledge learned in the classroom to a real-world setting. Subjects include geometry, data, division, biology, environmental studies, art, and music.
- Students work on social skills; learning to be “self-directed”, “solve problems in a positive way”, and “uses strategies and skills to work effectively with others”.
- Expose students to leisure activities that could become life-long recreational hobbies. These including hiking, archery, rock climbing, and geo-caching.
- Students will grow in self-confidence as they participate in challenging activities as individuals and in supportive groups.
- Give opportunities for Richland School District high school students and alumni to develop leadership skills as camp counselors.